Saturday, June 30, 2018

A Defense of Honor (Haven Manor #1) by Kristi Ann Hunter book review


A Defense of Honor (Haven Manor, #1)

A Defense of Honor (Haven Manor #1)

by
 
Forced to run for her life, Kit FitzGilbert finds herself in the very place she swore never to return to--a London ballroom. There she encounters Lord Graham Wharton, who believes Kit holds the key to a mystery he's trying to solve. As much as she wishes that she could tell him everything, she can't reveal the truth without endangering those she loves.
 
My Review: 10/10

This book was fantastic. I loved the subject matter (unplanned pregnancies) for this time period- definitely rare for christian historical romance. The themes of purpose, forgiveness, penance, redemption, and integrity were steady and natural and gave this story a lot of depth. I could really relate to the struggles the characters were faced with, some I've dealt with personally, and some that were so well done that I felt as though I had.

The romance was sweet and one of the best I've read in a while. At first, I was disappointed and annoyed by what felt like insta-love with no real basis. But if you feel this way too, push on. This book will surprise you.

*Spoiler* The only thing that gave me pause was the adoption was broached as an unheard of concept. I thought adoption was as old as Moses (see what I did there?), so I was a little surprised by this. At any rate, it made me want to look into the subject matter more myself, which is never a bad thing.

Despite the heavier themes, there was a lot of laughter and lighter moments sprinkled throughout and the pages flew by. I would highly recommend this book and cannot wait for the next in this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment