Monday, February 18, 2019

Searching for You (Orphan Train #3) by Jody Hedlund book review


 38484810

Searching for You

(Orphan Train #3)

Despite years on the run, Sophie Neumann is determined to care for two young children. She won't abandon them the way she thinks her older sisters abandoned her. But times are growing desperate, and when she falls in with the wrong crowd and witnesses a crime, she realizes fleeing 1850s New York is her only option.

Disappearing with her two young charges into a group of orphans heading west by train, Sophie hopes to find safety and a happy life. When the train stops in Illinois for the first placement of orphans, Sophie faces the most difficult choice of her life.

Reinhold Weiss has finally purchased his own small farm. With mounting debts, a harvest to bring in, and past scars that haunt him, he's in no position to give his heart away . . . but can he say no when his long-lost friend shows up on a nearby train pleading for his help?

My Review: 7/10

Overall, I enjoyed this story, though I did have mixed feelings.

Some things really made sense to me. Sophie has compromised her character and done things she's embarrassed by; she wants her life put back together before seeing her sisters. But at the same time, I think she knows it's not nearly as bad as it could have been and I would think the love, desire for resolution and even curiosity would be stronger.

Also, I found it kind of weird that Reinhold has been passed around from story to story.

And while it didn't bother me, it seems that 90% of their relationship is formed on attraction. It's a constant and heavy companion, so if that bothers you, you might want to pass on this one.

Without giving things away, I really enjoyed the background, the supporting characters, the history and development of the orphan trains and seeing different paths unfold. Though I found it unlikely that Sophie could have managed to stay fairly untouched since she seems to be a blinding beacon of beauty, I liked her and Reinhold together and the way they took care of each other.

Sophie's personal struggles with Olivia and Nicholas was a great piece of the story. And I loved (Loved!) the Duffs. We all need a Euphemia in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment