Tuesday, November 19, 2013

How we see ourselves

I've had so many things I've wanted to write about lately- an update on what happened with the house (definitely a story that I think needs to be told), what we've been up to lately, my experiences with our church, thoughts and feelings on different smaller and larger day to day things. But other things have taken priority. But I had to write about this, before I forget and it becomes lost in the recesses of errant thoughts in my mind. It's worth taking five minutes to reflect on, it's worth passing on:

Check out this 3 minute video: http://www.upworthy.com/2-people-described-the-same-person-to-a-forensic-artist-and-this-is-what-happene?c=ufb2

I think the message is great. But that's a huge adjustment to make, seeing yourself differently. I thought to myself, how is it that we get in a trap of thinking so poorly of ourselves? I think it's because in an effort to be humble and grounded we voice our negative thoughts rather than ever complimenting ourselves- that would be shallow and vain right? Maybe not so much. But if it's too far of a stretch to say nice things about yourself, say them to someone else. We don't hear it enough, not from ourselves, not from anyone else. When you think someone's hair looks nice, say it. Even if it's a total stranger, even if they think you're weird. So what? You probably made their day. And if not, it was worth the risk, don't you think? If you witness kindness, compassion, patience, etc, speak on it. Lift them up. If nothing else, it's putting more positive out there in a world largely dominated by negativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment