Monday, August 25, 2014

Becoming Bea book review

Becoming Bea (The Courtships of Lancaster County, #4)

Becoming Bea 

by
 
Ben and Bea have always irritated each other. But when their friends push them together, can they cease bickering long enough to fall in love?
 
 
My Review: 8/10
 
This book is the best of it's kind. I've read some Amish fiction before, and I'd read the previous book, Minding Molly, and I felt like the author did a really great job of showing another side to the story; both Molly and Bea have distinct voices.

The book is aptly named and you really get to see a transition as a young woman grows up. I thought her changes were natural; being thrown into helping raise children with no previous knowledge, accidentally overhearing some brutally honest words about your character from a friend, being separated from your family, all of these are things that would naturally mature and grow a person. So well done.

I don't know how realistic Don's character/situation is for the Amish, but I thought Bea's reaction to him and his actions was appropriate. I could have done without him as a subplot, but perhaps there will be some redemption for him a subsequent book.

The themes of forgiveness and trust and vulnerability were all beautifully done. I could understand where Bea was coming from in her fear and frustration and doubt. And I thought it was a little ironic that she was called overbearing. Perhaps Molly rubbed off on her more than she realized?

The storyline is interesting and the characters and their relationships are engaging, but ultimately, the charm of this book comes from Bea's voice: her introspection, prayers to God, her flaws and growth and insights along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment