Saturday, January 10, 2015

A Heart Revealed: A Proper Romance book review

A Heart Revealed

A Heart Revealed

by
 
Amber Marie Sterlington, the Rage of the Season in Regency-era London, has her pick of men, and she knows what she wants most in a husband: a title and a fortune. Why would she ever marry for something as fickle as love? And why would she ever look twice at Thomas Richards, a third son of a country lord?

But when Amber’s social standing is threatened, the character of her future husband becomes far more important than his position. After a public humiliation, she finds herself exiled to Yorkshire. Alone except for her maid, Amber is faced with a future she never expected in a circumstance far below what she has known all her life. Humbled and lonely, Amber begins to wonder if isolation is for the best. Who could ever love her now?



My Review: 10/10
 
Warning: reading later in the day will lead to poor decision making, such as pulling an all nighter, because you just cannot put this book down. Clear your schedule and start early!

This. Book. Ahhhh *insert happy sigh*

I have never read Ms. Kilpack's work before, though I have read every book in the Proper Romance series. I hope she continues to write regency fiction like this because I want more!

This wonderful, wonderful book featured something all too rare: a heroine who is honestly flawed. For a decent portion of the book Amber Marie Sterlington is downright ugly. She is selfish, greedy, vain, dishonest, and manipulative. But she acts the perfect lady. When we're honest with ourselves, how many of us can relate to her? We all have less than flattering aspects of ourselves that we hide from the public. If you don't think so, than you probably have even more in common with our leading lady because she has also deluded herself into frequently thinking she's the victim.

Despite that, I was absolutely horrified by what happened to her. I didn't like her, but I wouldn't wish what she went through on anyone. Her humiliation, struggles and concerns were legitimate. I ached with her.

But as other characters commented, her beautiful, humbled heart was worth what she lost and more. It really was such a beautiful transformation to witness.

And I loved the references to faith.

I do wish there had been a little more interaction between Thomas and Amber, but I understand why there wasn't. I guess I was just left really wanting more.

On a side note: according to the back of the book, Fenton will be getting his own story! Hurrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment