Friday, November 17, 2017

Holding the Fort (Fort Reno #1) by Regina Jennings book review


34020182

Holding the Fort (Fort Reno #1)

by
 
When dance hall singer Louisa Bell visits Fort Reno to see her brother, she is mistaken for the governess that the harried Major Daniel Adams is waiting for. Between his rowdy troops and his two daughters, he has more responsibility than he can handle alone. Eager for the opportunity, Louisa sets out to show the widower that she is a perfect fit.
  


My Review: 8/10
No one can make me laugh out loud like Regina Jennings. I particularly can't wait to read Bradley story because he's hilarious and charming and so real.

But I digress. This was a light, fun read with very unique characters, as always. I think I would've loved it even more if there were deeper character flaws. Maybe something like Hosea's story? I liked that Louisa had her standards and wasn't willing to sacrifice them. But I found myself thinking that I also would have liked to read a story about one who didn't. One who didn't make it out unscathed, made mistakes, had regrets and took the first lifeline that was tossed to her. How that would have changed the story. If anyone could blend humor with the sometimes painfully-honest it would be Ms. Jennings (years later, Love in the Balance is still having an effect on me).

This book is easy to love and I look forward to the others in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment