Friday, March 26, 2021

Winning the Gentleman (Hearts on the Heath #2) by Kristi Ann Hunter book review

54080730

Winning the Gentleman

(Hearts on the Heath #2)

Aaron Whitworth hasn't had control over most aspects of his life, but he's always taken pride in being an honorable businessman and better-than-average horseman. When both of those claims are threatened, he makes the desperate decision to hire the horse trainer of a traveling circus as a temporary jockey for his racehorses.

Sophia Fitzroy knows that most horsemen don't take her seriously because she's a woman, but she can't pass up the opportunity to get away from the tumultuous world of travel and performing. As she fights for the right to do the work she was hired for, she learns the fight for Aaron's guarded heart might be an even more worthwhile challenge.

As secrets come to light and past vulnerabilities are confronted, will Aaron and Sophia sacrifice their former dreams and forge a new one together--against all odds?
 
 

My review: 7.5/10

I had some mixed feelings about this book.

Aaron's relationship with his father and brother and ultimately himself was interesting and so well done. Sometimes I was amazed that he could be so unaware of his toxic and masochistic behavior. But you always root for someone to have a break through, especially when their misery is self inflected. The growth and change that takes place regarding this issue alone make the story worth reading. Everything else is cherries.

I wasn't as crazy about his relationship with Sophia, our lead female. He was so high handed so much of the time. I felt my temper flaring half the time and was frustrated that the things I would have said were no where near how Sophia responded in a meek or pleading way. Even in the way he tries to care for her is done without communication, without consulting her. I resented it.

I think I may have mentioned it in my review of the previous novel in the series, but I was annoyed by the overwhelming presence of so many characters from all of the previous books. I think they had more reason to be there this time around but it was still just too much. There are so many players that there isn't enough room for the principle characters. It seems unlikely for any books in Hearts on the Heath, but I sure hope that future series / books have new characters and way way less crossover.

I should say that I thoroughly loved the very end (last 10%) of this story. I loved the turning and surrendering to God moments, the humor, Jonas' words and actions, and Harriet's character in general. I hope we have a future story featuring her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment