Friday, December 3, 2021

Shadows of Swanford Abbey by Julie Klassen book review

57070964

Shadows of Swanford Abbey

In pursuit of an author who could help get her brother published, Rebecca Lane stays at Swanford Abbey, a grand hotel rumored to be haunted. It is there she encounters Sir Frederick--the man who broke her heart. When a mysterious death occurs, Rebecca is one of the suspects, and Frederick is torn between his feelings for her and his search for the truth.
 
 
 

My Review: 7.5/10

A Regency murder mystery / who-dun-it with a dash of romance: interesting (and suspicious) characters, multiple layers and tangled threads, and gothic vibes. I figured out some things ahead of time (several only RIGHT beforehand), and some were a surprise to me. It was a very engaging read. Without giving anything away, I will say I didn't like the wrap up of one subplot at the end - very abrupt and melodramatic. It just felt out of place in the story.

One small blip in an otherwise enjoyable read - would recommend. I hope the author writes similar stories in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment