Sunday, June 19, 2011

DC

In April, Jon and I took our vacation. We went to Washington D.C. for the cherry blossom festival, which was actually an idea Jon took from my best friend. We went the weekend before our 6th anniversary. We decided together when we would be going, but I let Jon plan everything else, including the location. I'd never been to DC before so I was really excited. We had so much fun taking the metro, walking around together, taking pictures, and site-seeing.

Jon picked some awesome places to eat. My favorite was a spanish restaurant where we had the most delicious lunch. I'd never had them before, but tappas and sangria are a new favorite of mine. The atmosphere was really cool, too- very laid back, with tons of decorative pillows to lounge on, and live local music. I wish we had something like that here. If I could cook, I'd do it myself!

This weekend was when I converted Jon into a coffee drinker, which is definitely a milestone for me!

I got to see all the major monuments but three (I had to settle for seeing them from a distance because my feet hurt too much by the end of the day), and now I feel like I can truly call myself an American, haha. It was a beautiful time of the year to capture them on film.

Looking at the war memorials really made my interest in looking up my geneology flare up again. Hopefully I can hold on to that feeling and get into it this summer while I'm not in classes. I think the hard part of undertaking such a huge project is getting it started. My parents have never been much interested in family history, so unfortunately I don't even know the names of most of my second cousins and great aunts and uncles. I'm hoping to remedy this with my girls and I hope that they share my interest in our roots and traditions.

Anyway, it was a really fun trip for such a history-lover like me. And even though we missed the girls like crazy, it was so good to get away, just the two of us. While we were there we realized we hadn't gone away together in two years. We are going to have to work harder to find the time to make sure we make it an annual thing, like we wanted.

About half of my pictures are missing, including those of La Tasca, which are really cool. But these should tide you over!

This is a chaotic shot, but they had the best subs I've ever tasted and I wanted to chronicle it.



US institute of Peace. Pretty neat architecture.


Lincoln's memorial is definitely the best, in my opinion.



Better picture of the detail at the top.







Initially I thought Washington got ripped off, but I came around by the end of our trip when I had been able to see it all over the city, from just about any distance or height.


I think it's such a wonderful testimony to the memory of these loved ones that there are always tons of people visiting the Vietnam veterans memorial.

Passed a wedding by the water. What a great idea- I'm sure their photographs are going to be gorgeous.



The WWII memorial was so vast that it required many photos to give an accurate portrait. Here is a taste.


Small glimpse of the WWII memorial


Everyone was flying kites. Most of the cherry blossoms were white, so the colors from the kites really popped.


White house.


Me and some random cute little kid, ha


Flowers may be cliche, but they're jsut too pretty to pass up. God is such an artist.



My man.


Love this one.


Jefferson monument.

No comments:

Post a Comment