Monday, September 3, 2012

Delirium Review

Delirium (Delirium, #1)

Delirium 

They say that the cure for Love will make me happy and safe forever.

And I've always believed them.

Until now.

Now everything has changed.

Now, I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie.

Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, when she falls in love.














My Review: 9.5

I'm not sure this is one I'll feel the need to relive over and over like my other favorite books. But infinitely superior to most things I've read. Sure it's a little predictable, but Delirium harbors no pretense about that. Some of the things that were meant to be a shock were not entirely shocking.

But it was beautifully written; a lot of books try to pull off a lyrical kind of style and it just comes off as melodramatic, but Oliver did it well. I loved the characters; you want to dig deeper and understand villain and hero alike. I can't wait to see what happens next, what happens to each of them. Despite the prevalent despair, the author always provides some hope to cling to. Just like in other dystopian novels, like Hunger Games and Divergent, you can sense a coming revolution. And I can't wait to be brought along for the ride. This book is so popular that I was on the waiting list for two months with my local (and rather large) library. It was definitely worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment