Monday, May 11, 2020

At Love's Command (Hanger's Horsemen #1) by Karen Witemeyer book review


53166117. sx318 sy475

At Love's Command

(Hanger's Horsemen #1)

by
Ex-cavalry officer Matthew Hanger leads a band of mercenaries who defend the innocent, but when a rustler's bullet leaves one of them at death's door, they seek out help from Dr. Josephine Burkett. When Josephine's brother is abducted and she is caught in the crossfire, Matthew may have to sacrifice everything--even his team--to save her.
  




My Review: 7.5/10

This new set of characters reminded me of some from possibly my favorite book by this author: the Archers from Short Straw Bride (etc). If you liked that book and the series, I have a feeling you'll like this new novel and series too.

There was a little too much insta-love for my taste, but the characters are charming and Josie and Matthew's interactions are funny and sweet. Josie was interesting. She's educated, competent and confident, but at times I was a little annoyed with her behavior - when I felt like she acted overly emotional or demanding. It felt like she was trying to backseat drive or co pilot Matthew sometimes. I felt like she needed reminded, either you trust the man you hired for his skills or you don't. And you're not one of the horsemen. And there was one scene in particular where her bravado would have been better left unsaid. Lull your enemy into complacency. Let him think you're beaten so he keeps his guard down. Instead she put him on high alert and made things harder for Matthew and his men. But she also kept her wits about her under pressure and managed to get a message to Matthew. So I had mixed feelings about her.

I think Preach was my favorite character. I loved the regular request for a fitting Bible verse from him. Really, I loved Hanger's Horsemen as a group. They felt like a family. I have high hopes for this series and look forward to the next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment