Thursday, October 15, 2020

The Kissing Tree: Four Novellas Rooted in Timeless Love by Karen Witemeyer, Regina Jennings , Amanda Dykes , Nicole Deese book review

51268201

The Kissing Tree: Four Novellas Rooted in Timeless Love

by
 
Bestselling novelist Karen Witemeyer joins award-winning authors Regina Jennings, Amanda Dykes, and Nicole Deese for this Texas-sized romance novella collection. Each of the authors' unique voices is on display in stories where courting couples leave a permanent mark of their love by carving their initials into the same oak's bark.

In Regina Jennings' Broken Limbs, Mended Fences, a small-town teacher has her credentials questioned by a traveling salesman.

Karen Witemeyer's The Kissing Tree Inn tells the tale of an unlikely woman building a very unexpected lover's retreat.

From Roots to Sky by Amanda Dykes follows a young WWII naval airman who heads to Texas to meet the sister of a lost compatriot.

Heartwood by Nicole Deese is a modern-day romance where the aftermath of a giant storm brings changes for the owner of a historic inn.
 
 
 

My Review: 8.5/10

I look forward to these novella collections every year. Usually at least one of my favorite authors and hopefully a couple of new ones to discover. If I'm lucky, they are only new to me and I have a bunch of previously published works waiting for me.

They are quick, sweet reads and having different authors collaborate really makes the distinct stories (characters) stand out.

This set has common roots (see what I did there?) but spans a rather long chunk of time.

Broken Limbs, Mended Fences
I'm partial to this time period and this author. Bella's opening scene was definitely memorable. She truly had some challenges in her story and I was interested to see how she would adapt and what she would ultimately choose. I suppose the same should be said of Adam. I loved the unique supporting characters as well. This story had plenty of heart and humor, what a great way to start. "Tree of Shame" hahaha.

The Kissing Tree Inn
I loved the way the first story grew into this one. I appreciated the mention of former characters and I adored Phoebe (and her dad) and Barnabas. I loved her quick wit, poor taste in design, humility, and whimsy. Barnabas was very different but complemented her so well. I enjoyed reading from his POV too (rare for me), as it was so contrary to Phoebe's.

From Roots to Sky
This author was new to me and a little more contemporary than I usually go (1940s), but it was well written. I found the story intense and full of sadness, despite our heroine, Hannah's, energy and hope. It was still a sweet story that deals gently with loss and purpose.

Heartwood
This author was also new to me and set in modern times. This one had similar themes of loss and purpose, of healing and adapting.  I liked Griffin's character. The book felt well researched. What a cool job arborist would be. Without giving anything away, I have to say I liked the way some of the loose ends were tied up but not others. I'd gotten attached and while I know some things just can't last forever, they can in my mind... as long as the author doesn't disabuse me of the notion.

No comments:

Post a Comment