Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Sorry, sorry!

It's been two weeks. I know, I'm sorry. I had a feeling this would happen with finals and everything, but if it's any consolation there hasn't been much newsworthy to share. Here's an update on the housing front:

We went in on Wednesday (12-1) to make a formal offer. The seller was going to be out of town until the following Monday and the agent wanted us to fax it to her immediately. We tried to decline because we wanted our agent to be there at the presentation of the offer to explain why it was so much under the asking price and also to get a feel for what to expect. The seller said she did not want our agent involved at all and insisted we send the offer right away. So we did. That weekend went by with nothing, which we found really odd since her agent had been harassing ours for two weeks asking if we were going to put in an offer and when. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday nothing.

Wednesday (12-8), we went to look at two more townhomes in the McCandless area, as a back up. One was very, very small and completely outdated. The other was even smaller and in shambles and disgusting. We asked our agent what was reasonable to expect in terms of a timeline for our offer. He told us it varies, but Friday would be fine. So he called their agent and told them we needed an answer by Friday night. They blew us off. Saturday night, our agent told us they decided to accept another offer. We believe they were using our offer to make the other person increase theirs. Although, why they had to keep us waiting for almost two weeks was completely beyond us. It kind of left a bad taste in our mouth. But we got back on the horse.

Last night we went to look at two more townhomes: a new one, out of our preferred area (uneventful), and the first back up again. This time we tried to imagine it as ours. It would need a lot of appliances and carpet replaced and it is still very small, but we love the location and that neighborhood sells fast so we think it would be a good starter home for the next few years. We asked our agent to make an informal offer for us and we're going in tomorrow to draw up the papers for a formal offer. We're not taking any chances though, because we are running out of time. We have a month and a half 'til our lease is up.

We're going to look at 2 more this weekend that are out of the area we wanted but still pretty close. And we'll be putting in offer for all three if we like them, and just take whichever bites first! They are all very similar, in terms of size, price and everything, so we're just leaving the rest up to God at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment