Monday, May 27, 2013

Goodreads and blogs



For those of you who don’t know, I’m an avid reader. I love romance best of all (Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book ever, followed swiftly by Ella Enchanted), but humor, historical fiction and the occasional sci-fi are other loves of mine as well. 

When I started this blog, I intended it to be a mashup of posts that were on DIY/home updates, photo montages for distant relatives (and family updates that read like letters to them), random thoughts and opinions on any and everything, and… book reviews. I got out of the habit of taking photos, have thought of plenty of topics to blog about, but always told myself, eh I’ll do it later (I’d rather read), and though we intended to buy a home several years ago, we continued on with renting, so there’s not been much DIY work around here. Then I nixed the book reviews. 

A friend pointed me to Goodreads (which has been pretty awesome) so I was thought to myself, this is a really cool site, I love pretty much everything about it, from the rating system to how things are linked together, the “shelving” system, listopias and recommendations, plus meeting new reader friends and reading reviews from average people (which, as it turns out, are much more entertaining and useful than “professional” reviews).  So I decided to stop doing reviews on here and do them exclusively on Goodreads.

This left me with family updates. I think that’s been fine. And I hope the other aspects will again follow in time. BUT I recently applied to do book reviews in exchange for getting free book copies and ARC (advanced reader copies for those who don’t know, which are awesome because, as the name suggests, you get a copy of the book before it’s released) and the publisher was not satisfied with Goodreads; it’s exclusively for bloggers. SO, I’ve decided to start posting the book reviews that I do on GR on here, again. Which, incidentally, should help with my NYR to post more than last year. ;] Yay!

So watch out for a flood of book review posts! Happy reading and reviewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment