Sunday, May 19, 2013

Song of a Soul Review

Song Of A Soul

Song of a Soul

When Deborah Burke is given the opportunity to go to Cambridge and train with world-famous mezzo-soprano Clarisse Pela, she is certain all her dreams have come true. Under Signora Pella's tutelage, she can refine her gift and prepare herself for a glamorous life upon the stage.Deborah has no idea, however, what moral dilemmas will face her in her new life. She finds herself falling in love with a man who is not at all what he seems to be. And as her dreams open up before her, she must decide how far she can comprise her Christian values for her career.

















My Review:  9.5
  
 This was the best of the four in the series. I put off reading it because the back cover really turned me off. Having started with, and deeply loved, the Gresham books, Blackwell's other books disappointed me. They did not compare and many had a common theme of an unworthy scoundrel taking up a good majority of the plot, which made me feel like I was wasting my time and energy, just like the heroine. The blurb on the back of Song of a Soul portrayed this plot in a similar way with: "Deborah has no idea, however, what moral dilemmas will face her in her new life. She finds herself falling in love with a man who is not at all what he seems to be." It made me cringe inside and I avoided reading it but for a chapter at a time here and there.

Thank goodness I felt compelled to see the series through to the very end and still had hopes, though small, knowing Blackwell's capabilities. The love story was sweet. I loved the Christian elements, and was so proud of the progression with Deborah's faith, especially in relation to her career. I was invested in the subplots and came to love the supporting characters too. I'd read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment